Saturday, February 11, 2012

Natasha

Alright, I know I've been gone awhile. But I'd like to introduce someone...say hello, Natasha.



Natasha is a Remington 870 in ATACs I got for 570 at LeBaron this winter. I grabbed a cheapo flashlight and mount off of Amazon, same with a Bushnell Trophy red dot. I snagged a Mesa Tactical side saddle and some dummy rounds online to go with it. So, now that introductions are out of the way, I'd like to explain my choice of very first firearm.

1. Why get a shotgun?

Well, it's reliable, and inside my budget. The ammunition is readily available, and it's multipurpose. It'll always be legal in my jurisdiction.

2. Why get it in ATACS?

It's pretty.

3. Why tart it up like that?

Well, I like having more rounds. And I like an easily-usable aiming device. And I like having a light so I can see what I'm shooting at.

What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. within your constraints, that's a good choice. Get good with slugs so you can have some range.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I approve of all yours reasons. Natasha is as pretty as she is versatile. Still, $570 is quite a lot for a shotgun -- I assume most of that is due to the paint job?

    Regarding Phil's comment: slugs can be expensive. Learn how to cut shells and you can turn cheap birdshot into an effective manstopper: http://youtu.be/k3M46XVfVOU

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of it is due to being in Canuckistan, Erin. Re: Cut shells- I hear they can cause feeding problems, which is a no go. I'm looking at aqquiring more firearms to reduce the reliance on slugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, cut shells won't work in a tube. You can still shoot them out of a pump, but you have to breech-load each one. Still, it's a handy trick to know in a pinch, and it's not like the break-action shottys load any faster...

    ReplyDelete
  5. True, all true. Regardless, it's a handy trick. I'm looking at picking up a rifle or two when finances allow, to reach beyond slug range.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shall preach to you the gospel of the Mosin-Nagant, the only rifle to go to war against itself... and win!

    It's cheap (17 million of them made, most can be bought in the US for less than $200), it's accurate (it was an infantry weapon in WW1; in WW2, the Soviets put a scope on it and handed it to snipers), it's rugged (designed to be used by illiterate peasants in a Russian winter) and its ammo is plentiful and dirt cheap (100 rounds of milsurp for about $25).

    Of course, all of this is in the US. Laws in Canada might make a difference. But since it's a 100 year old bolt-action design which only holds 5 rounds, I don't think they could call it an assault weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not yet, no. I was thinking of an SKS, because they're super cheap here, as low as 75$. I may have an Enfield coming down the pipe, as well. The ideal dream is a black rifle of some variety...but until then, Natasha can do almost everything I'd ever ask of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, if it weren't illegal to do so, I'd pay you to buy an SKS for me and ship it here. Even with the exchange rate and the FFL transfer and the shipping fees, that's far, far less than what they cost in stores these days.

    I still think you should get a Mosin for hunting and sniper work, but an SKS is a good choice for intermediate ranges.

    ReplyDelete