Thursday, April 29, 2010

Atlas Shrugged (but only out of indifference)

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." -seen on ZS

Honestly, I tried. I tried to like Ayn Rand. I like her ideals, but like Heinlein, she is a much better essayist than fiction author. Nothing against Heinlein, but his stories were as much oratories as anything else. It was so brutal, I just couldn't keep reading it. The closest I've come to finishing the titular book is beating Bioshock twice.

At least Bioshock is fun.

Deschain

2 comments:

  1. Who is John Gault? A long winded dick.

    Now, talk smack about Heinlein and I will pop you the next time we meet. Heinlein's greatest works are his "juvenile" books, and of course he's trying to shape and instruct the youth of the nation. We were a better nation when junior high boys read stuff like "Tunnel in the Sky", "Farmer in the Sky" and "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I wish I had been brought up on Starship Troopers and TMIAHM. Glory Road and Farnham's Freehold, too. But For Us, the Living remains an enormous turd.

    ReplyDelete